Ayurveda is the ancient form of treatment and medication which originated in India. It generally helps to treat diseases using the natural remedies along with meditation and exercises. This natural treatment is not only famous in the Asian countries but many Western countries have also adopted the medication owing to its effectiveness. It is seen that Ayurveda has been successful in curing several acute diseases. It also works wonders in the treatment of depression. When people go for conventional methods and treatment of depression through psychiatry, they face many side effects which harm the other facets of life. Moreover, it is seen that conventional medication cannot fully cure depression rather it just offers a temporary relief to the patient. Ayurveda on the contrary offers an effective and natural method of treating depression. It also prevents the re-occurrence of the disease to a great extent. Thus, experts always recommend natural remedies for depression rather than the conventional ones.
What Are The Causes Of Depression ?
As per Ayurveda, there are mainly two reasons for depression:
- Due to imbalance in the three types of doshas.
- When a person is unaware of his or her inner self.
Mostly, depressions occur due to the imbalance of Kapha, which in turn, leads to the imbalance of other two doshas: Pitta and Vata. Owing to the loss of balances in the doshas which are the basic elements of human body, there is feeling of hopelessness and negativity. This causes the nervous system to function abnormally which results in depression.
The Ayurvedic Treatment for Depression :
The Ayurvedic treatments always vary from person to person and cannot be generalized. They depend on the constitution of the body and mind of an individual. Treatment for depression also depends on these two factors. It is also determined by the type of doshas which are suffering from imbalances. The treatment has been classified on the basis of the following:
Remedies for Pitta Depression :
- Dietary changes need to be included in your daily life so that the Pitta element of your body is pacified. You must not intake any rich or spicy food like red meat, fish, vinegar, cheese and tobacco. Include foods in your diet that help you to cool down like sweets, dairy products, cool drinks, etc. It is best if a person can maintain vegetarian diet.
- Yoga and meditation are great for faster recovery.
- Do avoid the sun as much as possible.
- Try to intake herbs like coconut, aloe, sandalwood, shatavari and mint.
- Always bath using cool water. Try to avoid taking hot water showers or bath.
- Practicing of Panchakarma is also great for the body and mind.
Remedies For Vata Depression :
- You must always go to bed early and sleep for sufficient time at night.
- Mild exercise and yoga routine is great.
- Changes in the diet are also essential. Intake food which are heavy, warm and gives strength. Do avoid the intake of fruits, salads and food products containing caffeine. Restrict the consumption of spicy food, milk, nuts and dairy products. Eat food like pasta, rice, and soup which are heavy and warm.
- The use of herbs like cinnamon, ginger, cumin, and Gotu kola is great in this type of depression.
- It is also good to get a daily massage of the whole body. However, if you do not have much time go for the head and foot massage daily.
Remedies For Kapha Depression :
- Avoid the sun.
- Mild exercises and meditation is always recommended.
- Use herbs like ginger tea, turmeric and pepper in your food.
- In the dietary changes, you must restrict using fat elements, oils, meat, sweets, desserts, and food items which are not warm. You must eat spicy food and soups in your daily diet. It is also good to intake honey in small amounts daily which help to pacify the Kapha.
Along with the above-mentioned remedies, expert physicians can also suggest you effective Ayurvedic medicine for depression which ensures great results in the long run.